Sunday, July 27, 2008

It's hard to put into words how completely lost I am down here, so let me tell you of this morning's "shopping".
I need quite a few things, as you can imagine, so I went to the front desk of the hotel, where again no one speaks English, and tried to explain to the guy that I needed a taxi to take me to a big, Grande, Department Store. Evidently somewhere in my explanation I mentioned furniture, big mistake on my part.
We walk out the hotel and he explains to a taxi driver where I want to go. The taxi driver drives for 30 minutes, main roads, back streets, over a mountain, etc. Finally stops in the middle of this alley and points to the right. He says in broken English "Very, very dangerous, no speaka to anyone." and drives off. This is a hugh city of over a million people, and I swear one Gringo.
I start walking and come to a row of furniture "factories". That's it, nothing but people making furniture. I am in like South Chicago, or South L.A., far worse than the Jewlry District in L.A., Joeline.
I start walking. I have no idea where I am, or where I am going, but my feet have always gotten me out of trouble so I just gave them the lead and we headed off.
Two hours later, by some miracle, I came to the street my hotel was on - didn't know the name of the street of course, but I walked past my hotel and then recognized it.
Course the fear suddenly was replaced by hunger and my good old feet said "enough, I gotta rest"
So I sat down at a sidewalk restaurant.
I know enough to order Un Coka.
The waiter said jkljlkjlkjjkjjjj;ljkj,
so I said my usual, No Comprende Espanol
To which he asked j;lkjlkj;lkj;kjj;ljjj
So I said Si
He brought me out a palm said, Hey, my spanish is not so bad.
Then he brought me out some sort of soup. No idea what it was - Well, I do know it was not Octupus Eye Soup, because I ate that in Nam and this was not it. This wasn't that good.
Then he showed me five items on a hand written menu. I looked for carne (meat) and pollo (chicken), but seeing neither I just pointed to one of the five.
Have no idea what it was either, but it wasn't bad, lot of potatoes and rice.
When does school start? I am in my element there, I am at home on any campus, but this big city is "eating my lunch".
Carl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like Anthony Bourdain's position with the Travel Channel is secure, at least until you learn the language. Try saying this next time: "Yo quiero la sopa de gato." Karla says that means you want a grilled steak.

*Waters Family* said...

Seriously Dad.... DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAB next time.

Jody

Anonymous said...

Oh sure, look at all the armchair advise you get after the fact! I hope you at least took a min. to see what kind of furniture they were making and get some pricess. We need a nice bed, and maybe a desk. Do you think you can find your way back. Can't wait to get down there with you, hate that you are having all this fun without me!
Joeline

pacific grove said...

How hilarious! You should be a writer...I was laughing so hard, everyone kept saying, "What, what?" niece in california