Thursday, January 29, 2009

Let me tell you about Joeline's new life in Bolivia. Most of you know that she has worked 2-3 jobs at at time her whole life. We come down here and she keeps telling me that she has to work, has to get busy.
Well, yesterday I arrived home from work at about 4:00 and there are not one, but two maids cleaning our apartment. I start searching the apt. to find Joeline and expect to find her helping the maids. NO, NO!
I find her sprawled out on the bed with a coke by her side, reading a novel, and eating chocolate mints that the maids have brought her. The only thing missing was a cabana boy fanning her. (And I am sure she is looking into that possibility!)
The woman has adapted quite well.

She has been here three weeks, has already made a ton of friends at a Woman's Club Luncheon, been invited to the Tennis Club to play tennis (I understand she did quite well, considering she has not held a tennis racquet in over 30 years) been invited to luncheon with the "High Brow" Ladies of Cochabamba, and been invited to a Ladies Night Out Movie Premiere and Dinner.
None of these people speak English and she speaks no Spanish!!

I have been here six months and don't even know any of the gate guards' names. She knows them all by first names and probably knows their kids.

Course she has also got me in trouble with Evo Morales, the President of the Country, got all of my American teachers thrown out of the Immigration Office (too noisy and too rowdy), broken the rules at the Tennis Club - something about her shorts - and a lady yesterday at the travel agency called her aside and told her that her blouse was unbuttoned.
LORD HELP ME AND BOLIVIA!!!

No comments: