Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A few weeks ago I saw a sign in a small restaurant window advertising that a girl singer was going to appear at 8 p.m. on Saturday night. Having nothing better to do, I showed up at about 7 to make sure I got a good seat.
I order something to eat, had no idea what it was, turned out this was an Afganastan restaurant. I was served at about half past 7. I ate very slowly, and had a drink to wash it down. By 815, I was through with dinner. dessert and a few more drinks. By 9 I had had two coffees, another dessert and a few more drinks. At 930 the girl walks in with friends and they sit down and have supper. By now the waiter has asked me if I would mind moving to the bar so they could seat people who had reservations for the 8 pm show.
At promptly 10 the girl gets up, picks up a sax and really wails. Then she alternates between guitars and fiddles. She is really good. She plays for two hours straight. Of course during that 2 hours Huessin, bartender, and I had a few more drinks.
At midnight she comes and sits down. Huessin tells me she is just taking a break and in 30 minutes she will start again. By now I don't care / even though she sang California Dreaming for the American.
I go to my bed, which had been calling for hours.
Today as I drove by the restaurant I see another poster, so I stop and go in.Huessin greats me like an old friend. He speaks as much English as I do Spanish and Afkstan or whatever it is. By doing my usual pointing he agrees to reserve me a table for Friday night to hear her again. The poster this time says 8.30. I look at him and say ocho trienta. He says Si, then hesitates and says in broken English .. No No for your Senor Diaz, Diaz.
Insane world, but I am learning. Though the poster says 8.30 I am going to be there at 9'30, eat my dinner and enjoy the shows. Oh, I plan to go home after work and sleep for about 4 hours before going. This old dog is not that dumb twice. And yes "Joeline, this time I will take pictures.

By the way, if you are wondering about all the weird punctuation marks, I bought a keyboard today to hook to my laptop. Can't stand those little keys. Well, I got home and hooked it up. Guess what it is a Spanish Keyboard and trust me there is a difference. I have typed all of this time and still can not find the "'/?><>"|{} DARN COLON KEY to put between time numbers. I did discover that the SUPR key is the delete key.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems you're having a great time there... I'm sure you're Spanish will be perfect after this great bolivian experience. And yes I know the spanish keyboard is very different... it is also different from the French one... so can you imagine how many different types of keyboard we have in the world!!!

Take care Coach and thank you very much for sharing your new life. Aldo

Anonymous said...

I am going to love this, I am alway an hour late and a dollar short. Between the custom of being late and $ exchange of 7 B's to $1. I am actually going to be on time with change to spare!!!!

Jo

*Waters Family* said...

Dad, you totally crack me up!

We are missing you so much. But love that your are writing. I love to read your "work". Glad you found a Bolivian-Afgan friend. ONLY YOU could do that!