Saturday, September 6, 2008

No I did not get a nap before I went out last night to the Afganastan restaurant. Got home from school late, talked to Joeline on the internet, then got dressed to go out. Got to the restaurant at 9:30, for a 9 o'clock show and was the first one in the place. Literally. They had a table all set for me.

Has a great filet mignon ($6). Very different taste than the states, but wrapped in bacon, and extremly tasty. People started coming in and by 10:15 the girl was wailing. Man is she talented.
Anyway, Huessin comes in and introduces me to his, uh, cousin, neice, sister, I don't know. But she is very nice and interesting to talk to. She is Iranian. NOT Iraqui, she made that very plain when I mixed the two up. She escaped 20 years ago when the Iraquis were killing the Iranians. According to her because the Iranians were not being what the Iraquis considered proper Muslims.
So, her and part of her family escape in the back of a truck to Pakistan and eventually Australia.
Then the owner of the restaurant comes over and hugs me like we are lost brothers. He is her, uh cousin? Huessin is his (brother, nephew, I know not sister). Then, another guys comes up and everyone hugs. He is a nephew? who is studying at a music conservatory in Chile - classical musician. He has flown up here just to spend a few days with her. So I am in the middle of this big family reunion. All at my table, well, and at the bar and other tables. When the singer finally took a break at midnight (1 1/2 hours of continual singing, playing) I offered to take family pictures of them. (Joeline insisted I take my camera) They were overjoyed, especially when I told AKU, the owner, that I would email them to him. After a bunch of family pictures, they insisted I get in with the major members of the family for a picture. (NO, Clifta, I am not the one in the balerina outfit - oh that is another picture)
I am trying to get out of there when they say they have to buy me a drink. By the time I finish it the girl is singing again and no one leaves once the entertainment starts - bad manners.
She sings non stop until 2:45 YES ladies and gentlemen that is in the morning. These kind, loving people, must sleep all day.
I got home at 3, emailed their pictures, got to bed at 3:30, was up at 6, and am still waiting for Joeline to get up, so I can say good morning to my lovely wife.
Now, to top all of this off, I am supposed to go back tonight - the singer is in country for two nights - and take a bunch of my American hire teachers.

OH, OH, forgot. In the middle of all the drinking, I finally told them to bring me a coffee. Intelligent right? NO.
What I get is a tiny cup filled with some sort of black, thick liquid. I stired and stirred, mistake! When I finished the "coffee" the cup was literally still half full of a thick black paste. Have no idea what it was.
Oh, well, maybe I will find out tonight.

No comments: