Sunday, February 15, 2009

Joeline's Spanish is coming along much better than mine, but on one occasion recently she really had it wrong.
She had to go to a doctor to get a physical for the insurance down here.
The doctor asked her age and she thought he asked for her birthdate.
She starts to tell him her birthdate, (you do that down here with day of month first, then month, then year) so she says Viente Uno (21) and before she can say the month - he looks a little confused -then he quickly says No, No and asks for her age again.

Again she says Viente uno, and again he stops her, with No No

She didn't get it and starts again, but a little more hesitantly, viente Uno. This time He Laughs - and at the same time she catches what's going on.

Now she is not confused, but she is one red hot, red-head going balistic. Poor doctor, it's a good thing he didn't understand English at that point.

"Course I'm not trying to pass as twenty one", she tells me later, "but how dare he, I could be 21, couldn't I? He didn't have to laugh?"

Well, I slept in the 2nd. bedroom that night because I laughed my head off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way too funny. So like mom!

Jody